Internet Security Tips
With the new reality of so many people working remotely as a result of COVID-19, we need to make some important decisions and changes to our internet security. The following are a few internet security tips that will help you have a much safer experience working from home and reduce your risks significantly of having our important information compromised. Now more than ever, we need to evaluate the best solutions, apply them and take constructive action to enhance our internet security. Hackers and cybercriminals are working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to get our private information to make money. Here are a few internet security tips that can reduce our risks of being hacked. This includes password tips and using a private virtual private network VPN.
Password Security Tips:
- We recommend changing all passwords every three months
- Make sure you include unique symbols like; !@#%$&>)^ upper and lower case letters (ie) AbCdxYz, plus a few numbers 1,2,3,4,5 etc – This will insure a secure password
- Our computer password should be very unique and be memorized – No other passwords should match this one
- Have a completely separate password chain for social media than email accounts (email and financials should each have their own password)
- Store passwords in a secure area like a safe or someplace nobody has access to (vs) online
- Financial passwords should be completely different for each bank / financial institution – They should not be similar to social media or email passwords
- If we store our passwords online use encrypted password key solutions like Last Pass
- Never use birthdays, names. middle names, last names of family for passwords or pin numbers
In addition to tightening our passwords, we can use a Virtual Private Network VPN. This creates a very secure connection between us and the internet. For example, when we connect to a VPN our traffic is sent through an encrypted virtual tunnel. This has many advantages. More internet security tips below.
More and more people and small businesses are using a VPN for browsing the internet. VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It’s an easy and efficient solution
What is a VPN
A VPN creates a secure connection between our devices (ie) (laptop, iPad, computer, smartphone, SmartTV or gaming station) and the internet. When we get on online, each of us has a unique IP address which is similar to a phone number or home address. Basically, an address for our devices. Our IP address is a personal identification code for your internet connection. The IP address reveals our location and is tied to the person paying your internet provider. With your IP address, you’re recognizable and traceable online, no matter what you’re doing. That is, unless you use a VPN.
Why to Use a Virtual Private Network VPN
Since more people working remotely from home a VPN creates a secure connection between you and the internet. When you connect to the internet through a VPN, all your data traffic is sent through an encrypted virtual tunnel. This has multiple advantages:
- Be anonymous on the internet: Our IP Address and location will be invisible
- Safer Internet Experience: The encrypted tunnel will keep our computer, cell phone, TV and gaming devices away from cybercriminals and hackers
- You will be FREE on the internet: Using a different IP address we are free to access website services that may be blocked. For example, if you switch your VPN network an IP address from Europe you will be able to see different Netflix shows that may not be visible in the USA
We did a lot of research before purchasing our own VPN. The following reasons are why we suggest using NordVPN. If you are evaluating VPNs we highly recommend NordVPN for these reasons.
Advantages of choosing NordVPN:
- Connect 6 devices on many platform types – Best valued VPN with 6 devices
- Top notch privacy and security – Best security overall
- Support 24/7 (Live chat, email ticket system)
- Block malware and ads
- Kill switch prevents privacy compromise
- Double the protection with double VPN
- Fast & stable speeds all round.
- More than 5,000 servers in 59 countries.
- NordVPN has awesome price offers!
- Cryptocurrencies and cash accepted as payment
- Secure internet. With NordVPN, all your internet data stays safe behind a wall of next-generation encryption.
- Double protection. Change your IP twice and cover your web traffic with an extra layer of security.
NordVPN has a lot of options, offers strong security, and has performed well after using it for a few months. The best features are the security and that you can use one license up to 6 devices.
Social Brand Connector is here to serve small businesses the best possible digital tools for your business needs. Learn more by contacting us to learn more about business and marketing efficiency tools.